This is a good variation to normal vegetable upma. Also it can be made quickly with less ingredients, so it is always on my menu for breakfast. Try it sometimes.
You need the following :
Uppittu Rave/Semolina/cream of wheat - 2 cups
Green Chillies - 2
Curry leaves - from 1 line
Oil - 2tbsp (I know it is more but uppittu always tastes good with little more oil)
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Kadalebele/Chanadal - 1tsp
Uddinabele/Uraddal - 1tsp
Saarinapudi/Rasam Powder - 2tsp
Tamarind Juice - 3tbsp (or according to the sourness levels u want)
How to make it :
1.Dry roast creamofwheat/semolina in a thick bottomed pan till you get nice aroma of Semolina. At this stage Rava would have started turning brown. Switch off the gas and transfer the Semolina to a plate.
2.Heat oil in a kadhai/shallow pan/any vessel to make upma.
3.Add mustard seeds when oil is hot. Let it crackle, add Chanadal and fry till it is golden brown, add urad dal and let it brown too.
4.Add chillies, onions and sautee , fry it till onion becomes little brown. Add salt and give a nice stir.
5.Add 4 cups of water and bring it to boil. When water is boiling add tamarind paste and RasamPowder. Taste the water and adjust flavors accordingly.
6.Reduce the flame and start adding rava. Keeping stirring while you add Semolina little at a time. Cover and cook for next 2 mins. Switch off the gas and let it rest for next 5-8mins. Garnish with grated coconut and coriander leaves if you have it on hand. Enjoy it hot!
Use any vegetable to make this upma however simply chillies and onions also work well.
- ► 2012 (40)
- ► 2011 (42)
- ► 2010 (38)
- ► 2009 (88)
- Mooli ka Parantha (Raddish Stuffed Indian Bread)
- Mixed Dried Nuts Halwa/Badam Milk Powder
- Grilled Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
- Sprouted Chana Usli/Molake Kadalekaalu Usli
- Bombai Gojju & Batata Vada for SWC-Maharastra
- Baked Samosa and Tomato Soup
- Huli Uppittu/Sour Upma
- Mix Veg and Fruit juice with Rose Tea
- Kadalekaalu Chitranna/Sprouted Green Chana Rice
- Tags and Awards
- Mix Vegetable Huli/Mix Vegetables in Lentil Sauce
- Puffed Rice Brittles
- Puliyogare & Saarina Pudi
- Orange Flavored Pumpkin Soup & Kitchen Connect-Sin...
- Peas and Mint Soup
- Leek and Potato Soup
- ಹೆಸರು ಮೊಳಕೆ ಕೋಸುಂಬರಿ/Sprouted Moong Salad
- LongBeans and Sprouted Kadalekaalu palya &Awards
- Methi Thepla
- ▼ Jul (20)