Taste of Mysore went without posts for 3 months. Many thanks to all those followers who tightly stayed on board without loosing patience! Thanks to one and all who left their comments, mails and scraps to check my well being. It was a tough sail for past 3 months and things are slowly settling down. Recently I had mixed beans which I cooked to make palya/Usli (stir fried vegetable) but I changed my mind and started making cutlets. They came out very well and soon came the request to blog it from my hubby. Here you go with the recipe...
Mixed Beans : 2 cups (Kadalekaalu/Chickpeas/Kalachana, Hesarukaalu/greenbean/sabootmoong), Alasandekaalu (black eyed beans/peas))
Soak them for 7 hrs and cook them. Drain water and keep them aside
Potato : 4 big (cook with its skin intact, cool and refrigerate for 2 hrs)
Jeerige/Jeera - 1/2 tsp
green chilli and ginger paste-1/2 tsp
coriander powder : 1/2 tsp-1tsp
redchilli powder : 1 tsp (use more if you want to make it hot)
garam masala powder : 1 pinch
chopped coriander : 2 tbsp
Oil for deep frying
bread crumbs -2 cups
Maida 2tbsp mixed in 1/2 cup of water (1/2 cup=50 ml)
1. Peel the skin of potatoes and grate them.
2. Mash cooked beans or blend it for 1 or 2 rounds in a blender/mixer grinder
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and when it is hot add jeera. When jeera turns golden brown add ginger and green chilli paste and sautee. Next goes coriander powder, red chilli powder and salt. Mix them well and add chopped coriander leaves and garam masala.
4. Add mashed beans to this above mixture and mix well. You may want to turn off the stove at this stage. If you feel that the mixture is too moist, turn on the stove and sauteed till water evaporates.
5. Add the above mixture to grated potatoes and mix well. Add lemon juice at this stage if you like tangy taste. Taste the mixture and adjust salt levels at this stage.
6. The potato bean mixture looks dry and becomes like dough.Make small balls from this mixture and press them down to make a circle of 5 cm diameter. Cutlet patties are ready to be deep fried.
7. Dip these patties in maida water and immediately dust it with bread crumbs.
8. Heat oil in a frying pan and deep fry these patties till they turn golden brown.
9. Serve with tomato sauce or any other sauce/chutney/dip of your choice. Enjoy them hot!