You need the following for making mudhu palya :
Menthesoppu or Spinach -1 bunch
Toor dhal - 1 cup (Togari bele/Split pigeon peas)
Green Chillies -3-4 (adjust according to the spice levels)
Coriander powder/Whole coriander seeds -1 tbsp
Jeera powder/Whole Jeera - 1/2 tbsp
Dry coconut - 1 tbsp (grated)
Tamarind - the size of a marble (approx 1 tbsp of thick pulp)
Rice flour - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Coriander leaves -1 tbsp(chopped for garnishing)
1. Cook Toor dhal in the pressure cooker and drain.
2. Chop the spinach/methi leaves finely.
3. Grind (without adding water) the green chillies, coriander, jeera and dry coconut in the mixer grinder.
4. Heat a tsp of oil in a pan. Pop mustard seeds and add a little asafoetida.
5. Add the ground mixture, and fry for 1-2 minutes.
6. Now add the finely chopped spinach/methi leaves.Fry for a minute or two till the leaves are wilt. If you are using methi fry the leaves for more time.
7. After about 5-6 minutes, when the water has all evaporated, add the cooked dhal to the mixture.Bring it to boil.
8. Add salt, little jaggery and thick tamarind juice.
9. Mix well and bring it to boil again.
10. Before you switch off the stove, add the rice flour followed by 1 tsp of oil .Mix well.
11. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Best served with hot rice and ghee or chapathis.
This goes to Sowmya of creative saga for SWC-Cooking with greens event.