Disclaimer : 1. This is not any mysore food. Viewers & Readers this is a evening snack recipe from rest of India.
Ingredients List: makes 25 samosas
For Samosa Skin
Plain Flour (Maida) - 200g
Oil - 100ml
Salt to taste
Carom Seeds (Ajwain) - 1/2 tsp
Water as needed
For Samosa Filling
Potato - 5 medium sized
Peas - a handful
Onions- 2 (chopped into fine pieces)
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric - a big pinch
Red Chilli Powder - 1 tbsp
Coriander Powder - 1tbsp
Jeera Powder - 3/4 tbsp
Garam Masala Powder -1tsp
Oil for Tempering
Oil for Deepfrying.
Samosa Skin :
1. Add oil, carom seeds & salt to plain flour and rub well.
2. Add little water at a time and make a stiff dough. Rest it for 15 min in refrigerator. It looks something like this:
3. Pinch a lemon sized portion from the dough and work it on a smooth surface. Using a rolling pin roll the dough into oval shape
Cut in the middle. You get two halves which can make 2 samosas. Folding explained in this picture:
After folding is done, folded samosas line up to be fried ..
Samosa Filling :
1. Cook potatoes, peel and mash it well.
2. If using frozen peas, defrost and keep them in warm water for 5 mins.
3. Heat 2 tbsp of oil, add jeera. When jeera turns brown, add onions and fry till they are soft.
4. Reduce heat and add turmeric, coriander powder, jeera powder, garam masala,
sprinkle 1 tbsp of water and mix well. Adding water prevents these masalas from getting burnt.
5. Add in salt and mix well. Now goes potatoes and peas. Mix spices and potatoes well.
6. Switch off the stove and taste the potatoes. Adjust salt n chilli if required.
1. Spoon the filling inside the samosa skin and deep fry them in oil till they are light brown.
2. Drain them on a tissue paper. Fry all samosas.
3. Re-fry samosas till they are golden brown like this
Drain them at this stage and refry after few minutes to get crispy skin..
They are ready to eat with your favorite accompaniment.