A flavorful and simple dish for winter months when Methi is going to be abundantly available.
Methi : 2 Big bunches of methi. Leaves separated from stem. Pluck 3 leaves corner
Matar (Hasi Batani/ Fresh Peas): 2 handfuls
Milk: 1/2 cup
Garam Masala: 1/2 tsp
Turmeric : A big pinch
Kasoori Methi : 2 big pinches
Oil for frying : 2 tsp
Jeera (Cumin) : 1/2 tsp
To fry and grind:
Medium sized onion : 1
Green Chilies: 2-3
Ginger: 1/2 inch
Pre-Soaked Cashews: 8
Cardamom: few grains or a pinch of powder
1. Separate methi leaves from stem. Wash and drain.
2. Thaw peas if you are using frozen peas. If you are using fresh peas, shell them. Wash peas and drain.
3. Soak cashews for 10-15 minutes before you grind. Soak them in warm water.
4. Chop onions roughly. Cut green chilies into big pieces. Roughly cut ginger.
5. Add 1/2 tsp oil to frying pan. Fry onions, chilies, cardamom, cloves, and ginger till onions are translucent. Add soaked cashews and grind to smooth paste using water.
7. Add remaining oil to the pan. Throw in cumin seeds. When cumin starts turning brown, add ground paste and fry for 2 seconds. Next add Methi leaves and green peas. Mix well. Add turmeric, garam masala and salt. Fry for 2 more minutes. Sprinkle kasoori methi.
8. Add milk, fresh cream and sugar. Cook on low flame for 4 minutes. Check salt and adjust if needed. Serve hot with parathas or pooris.
Wishing everyone a very happy Sharad Navaratri -2015
1. Place a kalasha - fill water in a pot. Add turmeric, vermillion, a coin, few grains of yellow rice (akshate). Keep a dot of turmeric and vermillion on kalsha. Place two betel leaves inside the kalasha.
2. Keep this kalasha on a platform which has been cleaned. Draw a 8 petaled open lotus on this cleaned surfaced before placing the kalasha.
3. If chamundeshwari photo or any durga goddess photo is at home, you can place it for prayers.
4. Additionally I have placed Srichakra for prayers. It is auspicious to pray to Srichakra which houses all gods in it.
5. Ganesha idol is placed in front as he is the one who will be prayed first.
6. I have also placed Sarawati and Durga idols in the altar which I had at home.
7. Light the lamp and offer prayers. Offer prayers as per your ability for 9 days.
8. On the 10th day, this kalasha will be removed.
A closer view :