Belada Hannu is abundantly available in summers. As children, we ate them outside school just by sprinkling salt and chili powder. It tasted yumm! Tangy and Sweet with salt and chili ...a taste to remember! Ripe fruits are mixed with jaggery to make panaka or to make halwa. Here is a simple halwa recipe :
Wood Apple Pulp - From 3 big fruits
Jaggery (Bella or Palm Sugar)- 250g
Cardamom Powder- a pinch
Salt- a pinch
Ghee- 1 tsp
1. Break open wood apple with a hammer. Scoop out the pulp.
2. Powder jaggery and mix with the pulp. Add a pinch of salt too. Leave it aside for 30 mins.
3. Grind this mixture into smooth paste.
4. In a non stick pan, take this ground paste and heat on medium flame. Keep mixing until the mixture comes together like a ball. Add cardamom powder and ghee and mix well. Switch off the stove and let it cool.
5. Enjoy halwa when it is cool. Tasty and tangy!