A delicious and colorful twist to regular Kobbari Mithai /Coconut Burfi ...
You Need :
Keep Ready : A greased tray for pouring burfi.
For Coconut Burfi:
Shredded fresh coconut - 2 cups
Sugar - 1.5 cups
Cardamom - 1 pod (Powder the seeds and keep it ready)
For Carrot Burfi: (alternative : use beetroot)
Grated Carrot - 2 cups
Sugar- 1.5 cups
Method for making both the burfis are same.
1. Measure 1.5 cups of sugar and take it in a thick bottomed pan
2. Add water just to immerse the sugar, say about half a cup
3. On a medium heat, dissolve the sugar and bring it to boil
4. When the sugar syrup reaches soft ball stage add in shredded coconut and keep stirring.
5. At first you can see the mixture getting little diluted because of the moisture content of coconut, but soon it starts thickening
6. At a stage where you see the mixture starts thickening and leaves the sides of the container, quickly add in a big generous pinch of cardamom powder and transfer it to a greased tray.
7. If you over cook, the mixture becomes hard and brittle.
Note : 1. I made coconut burfi twice to sandwich the burfis. Together, I made thrice. 1st round-coconut burfi, 2nd round carrot burfi poured it over previously spread coconut burfi; 3rd round - Coconut burfi again to finish off the sandwich. You may want to find a easier way to do it.
Sincere thanks to Mahanandi blog for Coconut Burfi tips.
Verdict : Burfi tasted yumm and it had a colorful appeal too..