Have your ever tried Japanese rice into cook Indian dishes? I had not tried at least. This Sankranti, try it out to make Pongal. You will be pleasantly surprised by the results. We all loved it here. Many thanks to dear friend Divya, who introduced us to this rice.
Pongal ~ from Japanese Rice
A festive treat for your loved ones
Blog: www.tasteofmysore.com Author: Lakshmi Grandhim
Preparation time : 25mins Cooking Time : 20mins Total Time Taken : 1hr
Feeds : 5-6 Adults
4 fistfuls : Japanese Short grain Rice
2 fistfuls: Moong Dal (de-skinned dal)
150g: Palm Sugar (Jaggery)
20g: Dry Coconut
10+10g: Cashew Nut + Raisins
2 Tbsp.: Ghee
1. Soak Japanese short grain rice for 20 mins.
2. Fry soaked rice and moong dal in ghee. Pressure cook for 4 whistles.
3. Grate jaggery and dry coconut. Fry cashew and raisins in remaining ghee.
4. Add grated jaggery, dry coconut and fried cashews to cooked rice and dal. Bring it to boil.
5. Serve when it is piping hot. Enjoy!
1. Japanese rice takes a little more water than Indian rice. I added 1 cup rice: 3 cups water. No extra water is required at a later stage.
2. Japanese rice is a bit sticky. This rice pairs very well with moong dal to make a yummy pongal. Try the spicy version of pongal too.