Semolina & Jowar Gundponglu or Paniyaram ~ Instant Mix
This recipe is adapted from a friend's recipe who posted it on one of the food related forums. Thanks Preethi Prasad for the recipe.
This a simple, yummy and spongy gundponglu/paniyaram you might have ever eaten! The texture and taste just makes you say 'can I have more'...
Here is the simple recipe for the same :
Semolina - 1 cup
(Uppittu Rave or Chiroti Rave any rave is ok)
Jowar Flour - 3/4 cup
Rice Flour - 1/4 cup
(in case you don't have jowar flour, just add rice flour 1 cup)
Bread Slices - 2
Sago- 1/4 cup
Curd - 1.5 cups
Optional Ingredients: Jeera, Chili flakes, Eno Salt, grated carrots, chopped coriander leaves, chopped onions
You can even consider adding spinach or sapsige soppu (dill leaves) to make it more veggie friendly gundponglu. Customise it to suit your needs.
1. Measure all ingredients. Tear bread slices into small pieces. Measure and add curds to this mix. Mix and add water if needed.
2. Leave it aside for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Mix well again adding salt, jeera, chili flakes. Mix really well. I just gave a quick blend in a hand blender to mix it well. You can skip this step and just beat well to mix it. Before pouring into appe pan, I added half a tsp of Eno salt. Again, this is optional. Appe turns out good without this too. I have experimented various versions and they all work out perfectly well. Adding Eno salt just makes it more lighter.
I did not add jeera etc. I kept it plain. it was awesome. You can consider adding any other veggie you might think would be yumm to add.
3. Heat gundponglu pan and grease the well with oil. Pour in the prepared batter into the wells. Cover and cook for 1-2 mins.
4. When you see the sides getting cooked and leaving the edges of the pan, flip them and cook for another 1-2 mins.
5. Serve it hot with chutney or sambar of your choice. I served it with coconut chutney.
You are welcome to pick one from the lot and enjoy gundponglu. This recipe was an instant like because it was highly customisable and next it was instant type. Give it a try and let me know.