Heerekayi Chutney/ Beerakaya Pachadi
The recipe is inspired by Vah Chef, Cook Book "Cooking at home with Pedatha" and a restaurant where we had lunch recently. After all these yummy encounters sis in law on skype says "beerekayi chutney sooperagi irutte attige" ..ok needless to say that I wanted to try it then n there.. :D . It was good. Please try to know.
Preparation time : 20min Cooking Time: 15mins Total Time Taken : 35mins Serves : 5 people
Heerekayi (Ridge Gourd): 1 medium sized
Onion : 1 small
Tomato : 1 small
Peanuts: 2 Tbsp
Turmeric: a big pinch
Green Chili: 8-10
Tamarind: 2” piece
Jeera: 1 Tsp
Oil: for frying
Dry Red Chili: 1 for seasoning
1. Clean and remove ridge from Ridge Gourd. Do not peel the vegetable more. Cut into 1” pieces. Dice Onion and Tomato too. Wash green chili and slit them into half.
2. In a pan, heat oil. Fry peanuts, tamarind, green chili in batches. Remove them on a plate. Add more oil if needed. Now add jeera and wait till it turns red. Throw in Ridge gourd and onions. Add turmeric and stir. Cover and cook for next 3-4 mins. Add tomatoes and continue till tomatoes become mushy. You can add little water and salt at this stage. When ridge gourd is half cooked, remove the pan from stove and allow it to cool.
3. Grind peanuts, tamarind, chili into coarse powder. Add ridge gourd onion n tomato mixture. Continue to grind to make into smooth paste.
4. Remove chutney to a bowl and check for salt. Adjust salt and temper chutney.
5. For tempering/seasoning- Heat oil add mustard, urid dal, redchili, Asafoetida and curry leaves. When dal turns red pour the mixture on the chutney.
6. Serve with hot rice or Chapathi.