BBB aka Bisibelebaath (Bisi=Hot, Bele=dal/lentil, baath=rice) is most famous in Karnataka. Infact, one of my friend who appreciates Bangalore for wide variety of food was amused when she first saw the food list in one of the darshini (fast food chain). She says 'it started with chow chow baath and continued with series of baaths ending on BBB' She exactly remembered what she read and the list goes..chow chow baath, khara baath, tomato baath, masale baath, vangibaath, bisibelebaath..whew...she said..astonished at the varieties of 'baath' availability. Among all she loved BBB and I have heard from many good reviews about this BBB from many people. It is one of our favorite too. It was on demand from hubby recently. He does not crave for anything (should I say? he is over fed coz of blogging :P), but his craving for BBB started a week ago. Finally this auspicious weekend was chosen for cooking BBB.
Rice : Toor Dal 1:1
Vegetables : carrot, kohlrabi, frenchbeans, peas, tomato, pearl onions
Tamarind Paste - 2tbsp, Salt
For Masala :
Chanadal : 1tbsp
Coriander seeds : 1tbsp
Methi seeds : 4seeds
Nutmeg powder : 1/4tsp
Poppy Seeds : 1tbsp (Singapore people can use cashew nuts)
Dessicated dry coconut : 5tbsp
Red Chillies : 15 (adjust to your spice level)
Clove : 4
Cinnamon : 1'' stick
MTR BBB powder : 1tbsp (optional, it adds good flavor)
Ghee : 2tbsp
Curry leaves from 1 line
1.Wash and drain rice and toor dal separately. Do not mix.
2. Cut vegetables in desired shape.
3. Pressure cook dal, rice and vegetables separately.
4. Roast all masala ingrediants except dry coconut. Grind them with little water to a smooth paste.
5. Prepare tampering in a separate vessel and keep it aside.
6. In a heavy bottomed pan, add ghee (1tbsp) and when it is hot add tamarind paste and masala paste. Let it boil, when masala gets cooked, add salt, followed by dal, rice and vegetables. Bring them to boil. Add more water to make it a bit watery. Once salt, sour levels are adjusted, add tampering and switch off the stove. Cover the vessel and let it stand for 5-7 mins. Once the flavors are settled, serve it with raita and potato chips . Another closer look: