This year's resolution is to slowly adopt a lifestyle which is healthy. You will see a lot of healthy food options that will come up on my blog.
Bajra or Sajje as we call in Kannada is a very healthy grain. Here are the top 10 reasons why you must consider adding Pearl Millet into your diet.
1. It is gluten free. 100 grams of Bajra has the following nutritional values: energy 360 calories, moisture 12g,protein 12g, fat 5g, mineral 2g, fiber 1 g, carbohydrate 67g, Calcium 42mg, phosphorus 242mg, and iron 8mg. Low in carbs and high on protien/100gm.
2. Eating Kambu(bajra) provides us with disease fighting phytochemicals that lower cholesterol, antioxidants, plenty of fibre, folate, iron, magnesium, copper, zinc, vitamins-E and B-complex, thiamine, riboflavin and niacin.
3. Bajra, being gluten free, is a very good food choice for those suffering from celiac disease who cannot tolerate gluten.
4. Being rich in fiber content, bajra is good for diabetics, keeping the glucose levels normal.
5. Kambu supports weight loss as the high fiber content leads to a feeling of fullness for a prolonged period of time.
6. Pearl millet is a rich source of phosphorus, which plays an important part in the structure of body cells. Phosphorus, found in pearl millets, is a significant component of several necessary compounds including adenosine triphosphate (ATP). This element is also a crucial component of nucleic acids, which are the building blocks of the genetic code. Phosphorus is a constituent of lipid-containing structures such as cell membranes and nervous system structures.
7. Millets contain an essential phytonutrient, lignin, which is very beneficial for the human body. With the help of natural flora, lignans get converted to mammalian lignans and they fight against hormone-dependent cancers and reduce the risk of cardiac arrests.
8. Recent studies have proven that regular consumption of pearl millets help in preventing gallstones in women. They contain insoluble fibers which not only speed up intestinal transit time but also reduce the secretion of bile acids. Pearl millets are known to increase insulin sensitivity and lower the level of triglycerides.
9. Consumption of pearl millets helps in minimizing the risk of type 2 diabetes. Being a good source of magnesium, millets act as a cofactor in a number of enzymatic reactions.
10. Kambu helps to minimsise acidity problems.
It is suggested that you consult your doctor or nutritionist before you try any new grain or make changes to your diet.
Bajra Flour : 2 cups
Water: 1.5 cups
Bring water to boil. Add salt. Add in 2 cups of Sajje Flour and cook for 2-3 mins. Mix the flour with water and switch off the stove. Cover and keep for 10 mins or till the mixed flour cools down to room temperature. Knead the flour well and roll them into circles.
Serve it with any curry. Bajra roti is bland so it goes well with any kind of side dish. I served it with Chili Chutney (khara chutney) and salad.
You can find the recipe for Chili chutney/ Khara Chutney here
Onion as a salad with Sajje Rotti does a magic, try it.
Bajra nutrition information is from the internet. Thanks to Nutrichoices 4U and Pearl Millet Nutrition information.