ಮಜ್ಜಿಗೆ ಹುಳಿ or Winter melon(Ash Gourd) in yogurt sauce is one of our favorite item. Rice, ಮಜ್ಜಿಗೆ ಹುಳಿ, sundried chillies are mouth watering combination...sluurrrrp...... I could lick my fingers off when my mom and granny used to make this. My son does it now :D
We need the following to make Majjige Huli :
Boodukumbalakayi/Winter Melon/Ash Gourd pieces : 2 cups(Closely packed)
Mosaru/Yogurt : 4 cups (sour types, 2 day old yogurt works well)
Grind the following into smooth paste to make sauce :
Kadalebele/Chanadal : 1tbsp (soaked in water for atleast 2hrs)
Jeerige/Cumin/Jeera : 1tbsp
Hasiru menasinakayi/Green Chillies : 4 (adjust according to your req)
Tenginakayi turi/Grated Wet Coconut : 2 heaped tbsp
for seasoning or Oggarane :Oil, mustard, curry leaves, red chillies (1 broken into small pieces) and asafoetida/hing
How to proceed :
1.Do the tampering in a wide skillet by adding the ingrediants in order mentioned above.
2. Add Winter Melon pieces, sautee for a while and add salt and water. Close the lid and let those winter melon pieces get cooked.
3. Meanwhile grind the ingrediants for making sauce. Add this paste to cooked winter melon pieces and continue to boil.
4. Beat yogurt well, add water if required. Add this beaten yogurt to the sauce above. Mix to form a uniform sauce.
5. Check taste and adjust the flavors accordingly. Serve hot with rice and sundried chillies.
E N J O Y Y Y Y Y!!!!!
- ► 2012 (40)
- ► 2011 (42)
- ► 2010 (38)
- ► 2009 (88)
- ಮಜ್ಜಿಗೆ ಹುಳಿ/Wintermelon in yogurt sauce
- Spinach and Moongdal
- Vangibath Powder & Vangibath/Fried Rice with Brinj...
- Mango Seekarane/ಸೀಕರಣೆ A delicious dip for holige/...
- Chrysanthemum Tea
- Mixed Flour and Veggie Akkirotti
- Wishing All Bloggers a Very Happy Ugadi
- Happy Ugadi to All
- Bhindi/Okra&Potato in Red Sauce
- RCI-Kashmir Round up and Announcing next theme
- ▼ Apr (10)