Karadantu/Antinunde is a mixture of various types of dried fruits, spices and nuts. A sweet delicacy which can be savored by anyone anytime. It has always been synonous to postpartum diet practices in southern part of India. It is also given to children when they attain puberty. Believed to build strong bones and increase blood circulation, these laddoos are yummy treat for children at that age.
I had listed my version of postpartum practices else where. I thought of summarizing them :
Back to Antinunde recipe. Thanks to Smitha for this lovely recipe.
A Sweet delicacy for your most delicate times
Blog: www.tasteofmysore.com Author: Lakshmi Grandhim
Preparation time : 1 hr Cooking Time : 40 mins Total Time Taken : 1 hr 40 mins
Makes : 25 laddoos Serving Size: 1 laddoo
Ratio works like this: 6 cups of dried fruits mixture: 1.5 cups jaggery:1 cups of gum
If you do not have a sweet tooth, reduce the jaggery or palm sugar to 1 cup
Dry Fruit Mixture (alter the quantities according to your like)
Dried Dates : 200g Deseeded and chopped roughly
Almonds : 30
Cashew : 25
Raisins : 1 cup
Poppy Seeds : 1 tbsp
Grated Dry Coconut : 4 tbsp
Cloves : 4 (Add them only if you are making for postpartum purposes)
Nutmeg: ¼ tsp
Edible Gum : 1 cup
Ghee for frying
Jaggery : 1 cup
1. Deseed dry dates and chop them roughly
2. Chop Almonds into rough pieces
3. Chop Cashews into rough pieces
4. Cut raisins into half, I like to do this as it helps to bind the laddoo easily
5. Gently fry coconut on warm pan taking care not to burn the coconut. Fry poppy seeds too.
6. Grate nutmeg.
7. Mix them all.
8. Fry edible gum in ghee till they puff up like popcorn. This is very fast, so fry it on low to medium heat.
9. Mix gum and dry fruits together.
10. Mix powdered jaggery with water and bring it to boil. Mix well and continue to boil until the syrup has reached 1 string consistency. If you pull a drop of syrup btw two fingers it forms a thread or string.
11. Pour this syrup over the mixture and mix well.
12. Rub your palm with ghee and start making laddu. At first, these laddus may not come together, but squeeze them together and it makes nice round laddus.
13. This is a high calorie food. Eat in moderation.
Do not forget to share this recipe with your friends. Sharing is caring.