Masala Poori/Masala Puri ~ Bangalore Style Chaat
Serves : 10 pax ; Cooking Time : 45minutes
Recipe Source : Sushma
For Raagda :
Dried Green Peas : 150g
Marathi Moggu: 1
Fennel Seeds: 5 seeds
Red Chillies: 3-5 numbers (vary according to the taste)
Coriander Leaf: 1 small bunch
Mint Leaves: 5-8 leaves (I skipped this as I did not have them)
Ginger -Garlic Paste: 1tsp
Jeera- 1/2 tsp
Oil: 1/2 tbsp
Coriander(Dhania) Powder: 1tsp
Chaat Masala - 1tsp
Salt- As needed
1. Soak dried green peas overnight.
2. You can buy few poori/papdi from store if you do not wish to make them at home.
1. Pressure cook soaked green peas, peeled and washed potato and peeled carrot for 4-5 whistles
2. Once the pressure comes down, remove potato,carrot, 2 tbsp of green peas to a separate bowl.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add jeera. When jeera turns red, add onion and saute till they are soft. Add in ginger-garlic paste and saute till raw smell goes away. Switch off the stove, let it cool.
4. Fry red chillies, cloves and m.moggu with bay leaf on a hot pan till cloves pops up. Remove them and let them cool.
5. Grind onion-gingergarlic mixture, redchillies, cloves, m.moggu, bayleaf, fennel seeds, coriander leaves to get coarse mixture. Add cooked potato, carrot, green peas which were reserved in a bowl. Add little water and grind this to smooth paste.
6. Remove the paste to a bowl in which you want to prepare ragda. Add in cooked peas and bring it to boil. It is time to add dhania powder, salt, tamarind paste and continue to boil for 2 mins. Check salt and adjust if necessary. Switch off the stove and add a tsp of chaat masala. Raagda is ready to serve.
Poori/PuriYou can always buy ready made papdi available at stores. I prefer making poori at home. You need the following:
Chiroti Rava - 1 cup
Water to knead
Oil for deep frying
Mix every thing to make a firm dough. Rest the dough for 10 mins.
Roll the dough into big circle. Cut them into squares. Prick the squares with a fork.
Heat oil and deep fry these squares till they are crisp and golden.
Puris are ready for the chaat.
Onions- 1 Chopped finely
Tomato-1 Pith removed and chopped finely
Coriander Leaves- Chopped finely
Carrot- 1 peeled and grated
Take a plate and place few pooris on it. Crush them down.
Pour prepared raagda over it.
Garnish it with chopped onions, tomato, carrot, coriander leaves etc..Sprinkle with chaat masala and lemon juice. Top it up with Sev and serve..slurrrrp!!!!
Thank you Sushma for making our evening a very pleasant one!