I have been trying various vegeterian bengali dishes from fellow bloggers for SWC-Bengal. One of them we liked was Masoor dal along with Kalakand and Potatoes with Panchphoran. Thanks to Sandeepa of Bongmom's Cookbook for Masoor dal and Kalakand recipes. Visit her page here for a detailed recipe.
Here is her way of doing it, in-case you are in a hurry...
Masoor Dal or Split Red Lentils- 1 cup washed thoroughly
Onion - 1 red onion medium sized, sliced in thin long slices
Tomato - 1 firm red tomato chopped fine
Green Chilies - 2-3 finely chopped
Panch Phoron or Panch Puran (a Bengali Five Spice Mix) - 1 and ½ tsp
Lime Juice - 4 tsp of fresh lime juice
Coriander Leaves- 3-4 sprigs
Salt - according to taste
Sugar (I did not use it)
Turmeric Powder - ½ tsp
How She Did It :
Pressure Cook the 1 cup Masur Dal with 2 and ½ cups of water and a pinch of turmeric. Once it is cooked mix it well with a whisk. The time to cook depends on your cooker.
Heat oil and add the phoron, or as we say temper with Panch Phoron.
Add the finely sliced onions and fry till they turn pink in color. Add the chopped green chillies.
Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till they become a fine pulp
Add the previously cooked dal.Mix well.
Add salt, sugar and about 3-4 cups of water. If you feel you need to add more water do so.
Cook till you hear a nice bubbling sound. Remember to stir infrequently during this process.
Also continue cook till the thickness of the dal is according to your liking
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and lime juice
This goes to SWC-West Bengal hosted by me on this blog.
- ► 2012 (40)
- ► 2011 (42)
- ► 2010 (38)
- ► 2009 (88)
- Avval Dosa/Beaten Rice Pancakes...Tried and Tasted...
- Navaratri and Navaratri Festive Food Event
- Bengali Style Masoor Dal
- Pudina flavored Adai Rotti
- Chutney Rotti
- Kalakand and Chola Bhatura - Tried and Tasted
- Biscuit Rotti
- Plantain Thoran
- Continued SWC - Part 2...
- Potatoes with Panch phoran
- SWC-Karnataka Round UP 2 - Republished for TOM
- SWC-Karnataka Round UP 1 -Republished for TOM
- Ananthapadmanabha swamy Vratha ; Ananthachaturdash...
- Menasina Saaru/Pepper Rasam ; Donate for a Heart;D...
- Alasande Kalu Huli /Curried Black eyed Peas And So...
- Ananthapadmanabhaswami Vrata
- Gojjuavalakki, Menasinakayi Bonda and revisiting a...
- Ekadantanige Modaka...
- Poori mathu Saagu
- Kobbari/Kaayi Holige a.k.a Coconut and Jaggery stu...
- Anouncing SWC-West Bengal
- Wishing you all a very happy Ganesh Chaturthi..
- Chanadal and Rice Payasam
- ▼ Sep (23)