After that festive food we needed something very light for dinner. Tomato Saaru, Rice and curds (yogurt) was something which came to my mind. A quick, easy and tasty treat is Tomato Saaru. Here is the recipe for it ..
You Need :
Tomatoes : 4 (Over Ripe is the best )
Saarina Pudi : 2 tsp (click on it to view recipe)
Jaggery : 1 tbsp (to adjust flavor)
Water : about 400 ml
Rice flour : 1tsp (optional, helps to thicken. I use it if the soup becomes very thin)
Oil (1 tsp), mustard,red chillies, curry leaves and hing/asafoetida
1.Pressure Cook/Cook in a vessel Tomatoes in 400 ml water.
2.Let the tomatoes and water come to room temparature. Separate tomatoes and water.
3.Blend tomatoes to smooth paste. Spoon the paste and add the reserved water to blender and rinse the blender and add the rinsed water to the tomato paste.
4.Add saarina pudi, salt, rice flour (if u are adding it), Jaggery (1/2 tbsp) and bring to boil.
5.When saaru starts boiling check the taste, and adjust flavors with remaining jaggery, water, sarrina pudi or salt or whatever is required.
6.If tomatoes are not sour, you can add little tamarind juice to make it sour.
7.Heat 1 tsp of oil in a separate pan, add mustard seeds. When mustard stops crackling add red chillies, curry leaves and hing. Pour this over the saaru.
8.If you have stems of coriander leaves add them to saaru. Cover the vessel and leave it aside for 20 mins before you serve it with hot rice.
Our way of enjoying saaru is with little mosaru.........
- ► 2012 (40)
- ► 2011 (42)
- ► 2010 (38)
- ► 2009 (88)
- ಎಲ್ಲ ಕನ್ನಡಿಗರಿಗೆ ರಾಜ್ಯೋತ್ಸವದ ಶುಭಾಶಯಗಳು
- Re-Posting few dishes for Challenge E...
- Tomato Saaru/ Tomato Soup (?)
- Bengaluru Vankaya Charu
- Happy Deepavali, Sweets Recipes
- Maldi Unde/Godhi Unde - Reader's Recipe
- Khara Aloogadde, Basale Hashi and Khara Mandakki
- Baalekayi Bajji / Plantain Fritters, Kadalebele & ...
- Pakodas and Shavige Payasa
- A simple thali for SWC-Andhra
- Ananthana Gantu Rangoli - Reader Request
- Ragi Idli for Tried and Tasted and No Coconut Samb...
- Heerekayi (Ridgegourd) Chutney and Ragi Rotti
- Food Bloggers in News :)
- Akash turned 6.......
- Godhi Huggi/Chanadal and Broken Wheat Payasam
- Pappu/Flavored Lentils
- Navaratri Festive Food - Food Roud up
- Navaratri Festive Food Round Up - Photos of Dasara...
- Mosaru Ambode/Dal Vada in Spiced Yogurt
- Mixed Fruit Sajjige / Soji Halwa with fruits
- Saraswathi Astottara, Lalitha Sahasranama Lyrics i...
- Shavige/Vermicilli Burfi - Dasara - Saraswathi Poo...
- Hesarukaalu Guggri/Stirfried mung beans
- SWC-West Bengal Round Up
- Astha Lakshmi Stotra; Lakshmi Ashtaka;Sarawasti st...
- ▼ Oct (27)